Hello everyone! It’s Jennifer here, founder of JLD-Studios. Today, I will be giving you some tips on how to start a leggings brand so you can design and sell your own custom leggings. Creating a leggings brand or any form of business is not an easy task (trust me, I am still learning as I go).
1. Do your research: What I always tell my clients is to first research and put together a plan. Who is your customer- Be Specific! What kind of leggings will they wear? Why will they shop with you? Do they prefer cats or dogs? A specific customer will help you create more targeted marketing and a dedicated following. Don’t be afraid to be narrow here. Pictures of dogs wont prevent cat lovers from shopping your brand – trust me!
2. Design leggings that are true to your brand: Once you know what leggings you want to create, a great way to differentiate your brand from others is by using a custom print on your leggings.
3. Find a manufacturer: When you start a leggings brand, finding the right manufacturer for your product is extremely important. Decide on whether you would like to manufacture locally or internationally. At JLD-Studios, we strongly support local manufacturing and creating jobs right here in the USA. That’s why we’re in business. Made in US products can require some consumer education to understand the pricing. Supporting US Made does require paying everyone in the supply chain a living wage. Check out our tips to help you select a manufacturer for your business.
4. Make sure to have a checklist before production: Before you begin production, make sure you’re not missing any of these, but if you are, don’t worry! Head on over to our design page and learn how we can help.
5. Build an SEO rich website: Establishing an online presence is so important in this digital age. Make sure to use Search Engine Optimization keywords in your website. For example, if you are selling floral leggings, make sure the word “floral leggings” are used throughout your website.
6. Use Social Media: We love social media! It’s a great way to share news, stories, and inspiration for your brand. Our current favorite is Instagram for sharing behind the scenes images from the studio. Potential customers like to know the brand they are supporting and a picture speaks 1,000 words!
7. Be genuine and tell a story: When you have a great product and a unique point of view, it’s time to tell your story. Instill your personality in the brand. Your story revolves around your customers and the value that they get when engaging with your product. The most powerful brand stories are the ones that prioritize customers as the stars. Think of your company as a supporting character. Make sure that it is authentic, people can see pass the BS.
8. Work your a** off: This part is vital to running any business. But, don’t forget to have fun and enjoy the ride. It’s a roller-coaster.
9. Surround yourself with positive people: Surrounding yourself with people that believe in what you do is a vital part of growing into a business that can truly support your mission. This includes employees, customers, and friends. Did we mention entrepreneurship is a roller-coaster? These people will help you stay on the ride.
10. #getshitdone: Now you’re ready to start your brand!
We hope this post gave you some tips on how to start a leggings brand. If you’re curious about creating your own leggings brand, contact us today. We would love to help make your legging dreams come true.